Thursday, January 15, 2009

Buying a DSLR Part 4: Accessories

Memory - The camera doesn't come with a memory card, so be sure to get one. It takes SD memory, which is just about the least expensive and most readily available type of memory out there right now. A decent quality 2GB card can be had for as little as $5, and will hold about 1000 pictures in Normal quality mode (see the chart below). If you're going to be shooting a lot of RAW/NEF images then you'll probably want to go with a faster card for about $15 (although keep in mind that since NEF images are a lot bigger, you'll only get about 260 pictures on a 2GB card, so you may want to consider a 4GB card). I almost always shoot in Normal mode. With memory as cheap as it is today I could certainly shoot in Fine mode, but the quality is imperceptible and so I see no reason to create files that are almost twice the size.
QualityImage Size Pictures per GB*
Basic0.7MB1000
Normal1.4MB500
Fine2.6MB270
RAW5.7MB130
RAW+Basic6.5MB115
*The actual number of pictures depends on what you're shooting, so these numbers may vary.

Flash - The flash we have is the Nikon SB-400 - it's $100. It's a great little flash that I use constantly. If you're trying to decide between a second lens and a flash, I'd get the flash. The best part about the flash is that it rotates up 90°. This may sound odd, but when used indoors it bounces off the ceiling, creating the effect of lighting your subject with a 10' x 10' softbox from above. The results are amazing - bright, warm and natural. They don't look like they were taken with a flash. Nikon has a pretty nice page that shows some example shots (apparently using the SB-400 also magically makes people smile too). You can also turn the camera 90° and take a vertical shot (the flash will not be pointing sideways). This works best when the flash is pointing at a wall that is between 3 and As long as the batteries have a decent charge on them the flash is very quick to refresh. On a fresh set you can usually take 3 pictures in a row (in burst mode) before the flash fails to keep up (missing the 4th one), and even then it will usually fire again on the 5th one.

The flash takes 2 AA batteries, and lasts for at least 100 pictures. I recommend getting a set of NiMH rechargeables and a charger. I got a set similar to this, but if I were buying today I'd get a set of Sanyo Eneloops. Those chargers take about 8 hours to charge a set of batteries. You could also get a quick-charger, but that shortens the life of the batteries. The batteries come 4 to a pack, so as long as you charge 2 while you're using 2, you should never be without a good set.

Remote
- Probably not necessary, but fun and potentially useful, the ML-L3 remote does what you'd expect a camera remote to do for about $17.

Camera Bag
- We got the Tamrac 5533 which holds the D40, 2 lenses, SB-400 flash, cables adapters and chargers just fine.

Well, that's about all I have to say on the subject of DSLR's for now. Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll pretend to know the answer.

4 comments:

The Talberts said...

Well now. The flash bouncing off of the ceiling? I think I'm in love. How wonderful is that?

Eric said...

The flash is the best. Like I said, I'd go with the flash before any other accessory, even a second lens. The Nikon page is pretty realistic, but I'll post some actual pictures that demonstrate how I use this flash so you know it's not just their marketing hype.

erin said...

OK, new question....What made you choose the 400 flash over the 600? Price? I was at a camera store recently and the lady would not hear of me looking at the 400 - only the 600. I think it was a lot more $$ - but since I wasn't going to purchase that day - I didn't look at the price tag. Now I want one for Christmas and don't know which one to ask for. Thanks Eric.

PS. - I love my D40! Thanks for everything.

Eric said...

Price is a big factor - the SB600 is about twice as much as the SB400. I'll bet the salesperson would not hear of you looking at the 400. Also, while the 600 has a couple of normal useful features like 2 axis swivel, it's also bigger and bulkier with a bunch of complicated features designed for pros that you'll never use.

The D40 is a great camera, but keep in mind that it's Nikon's entry level model - the 600 is just overkill. I'd get the 400 and put the difference towards a new lens or something like that.